The Blue Card EU (Blue Card) is the proof of legal residence of third-country nationals for the purpose of gainful employment issued by a Member State of the European Union.

The purpose of the Blue Card is to grant university graduates a residence title that facilitates and promotes the permanent immigration of highly qualified persons from non-EU countries to Germany.

In principle, the Blue Card is issued for a period of four years. If the duration of the employment contract is less than four years, the EU Blue Card is issued for the duration of the employment contract plus three months.

In order to obtain this residence permit – it is also called a Blue Card – IT professionals must meet certain requirements:

  • a completed university degree: if the university degree was not obtained in Germany, it must either be recognised or comparable to a German university degree. Information on the equivalence and recognition of foreign higher education qualifications is available at
  • An employment contract or a binding job offer must be available.
  • Generally a minimum annual gross salary of € 56,800 (2021). But for employment in the professional fields of mathematics, computer science, natural sciences, engineering and human medicine (except dentistry), a reduced annual minimum gross salary of € 44,304 applies (as of 2021 – the salary limits are readjusted for each calendar year)
  • The employment sought must correspond to the qualification

In general, it is a good idea to apply to the employment agency for a preliminary decision in order to speed up the recruitment process.

You can find out whether a foreign university degree is recognised as equivalent on the information portal of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany on the recognition of foreign educational qualifications. If you do not find your degree there, you should apply for an assessment by the Central Office for Foreign Education.

The EU Blue Card is issued for 4 years, but for a maximum of the duration of the employment contract plus 3 months. Within the first two years, a change of job must be approved by the Foreigners’ Registration Office.
Your spouse and minor children also receive a residence and work permit. Proof of language skills is not a prerequisite.

Of course, we will support you as an employer and also the applicants with the administrative burden of applying for a Blue Card.

Do you have further questions or need more information? Contact us!